"accidental" citizens

A question came in today about FATCA and whether someone who holds a US passport but never lived or worked in the US needs to file a tax return.  The answer is yes, assuming the income threshold is met.  It's important to keep in mind that filing a tax return is an obligation separate from and in addition to reporting on foreign bank accounts.  

Even if you've never even visited the U.S., if you hold citizenship through one of your parents, you may need to file a U.S. tax return and tell the U.S. about your bank accounts and other financial assets.

I'm happy to help you ask the right questions and figure out how the laws apply to you.  Give me a call. You can find my contact information here.