New Service: Need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number?

Once again, we're a Certified Acceptance Agent for the IRS, which means we can accept applications for U.S. taxpayer identification numbers.  As of 17 April 2017, the IRS decided to restore its agreements with foreign Certified Acceptance Agents. We're on again.

What's an ITIN?  This is an identification number used by non-U.S. citizens who need to file a U.S. income tax return.  If you are eligible for a Social Security Number - meaning you're a U.S. citizen, you can't apply for an ITIN. You need to go to the U.S. Consulate to submit an application for a Social Security Number while outside the U.S.

You can learn more about the application process HERE.  

Make your appointment HERE.

We're moving to the City Center in The Hague!

As of May 1, we will be in our new offices: 

Hoge Niewstraat 18
The Hague 2514 EL

Find us HERE.  Tram Line 3 (Spui) or Line 1 (Kneuterdijk). Parking Garage: Interparking Museumkwartier


Our New Space

IRS Announces More Time for late FBAR Filers

WASHINGTON - Last week, the Internal Revenue Service reminded U.S. citizens and resident aliens, including those with dual citizenship, with a foreign bank or financial account that a new deadline now applies to reports for these accounts.

New Deadline for Reporting Foreign Accounts

Congress changed the deadline for filing the annual Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) to match Tuesday's federal income tax return. This means that the 2016 FBAR, Form 114, must be filed electronically with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) by April 18, 2017.  

For the first time, FinCEN will now grant filers missing the April 18 deadline an automatic extension until Oct. 16, 2017 to file the FBAR. Specific extension requests are not required. Previously, FBARs were due on June 30 without exception.

In general, the filing requirement applies to anyone who had an interest in, or signature or other authority, over foreign financial accounts whose aggregate value exceeded $10,000 at any time during 2016. Because of this threshold, the IRS encourages taxpayers with foreign assets, even relatively small ones, to check if this filing requirement applies to them. 

Most U.S. Citizens Abroad Need to File

An income tax filing requirement generally applies even if a taxpayer qualifies for protection against double taxation through the Foreign Earned Income exclusion or the Foreign Tax credit.  However, a U.S. income tax return must be filed to claim this protection.

Citizens and "Green Card" holders who live abroad have an extra 60 days to file their income tax returns until June 15, 2017.    Tax payments are still due on April 18, and interest will apply to any payment received after that date. More details can be found here.  

Dahl Tax Law offers a step-by-step guide to preparing and filing an Foreign Bank Account Report. Get yours here.

FBAR Made Easier


We are very proud to offer our newly updated guide that will help you confidently prepare your Foreign Bank Account Report. Best of all, you get a currency converter that takes all the work out of completing the report.

International Tax Attorney Christine Dahl provides clear, easy-to-follow instructions showing you:

o whether you need to file a foreign bank account report;
o which financial accounts need to be reported and how to calculate their value;
o how to complete the official form and file it with the US Treasury Department.